Re: [Adonthell-devel] wastesedge.pot

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] wastesedge.pot
Date: Sun, 14 Apr 2002 12:19:53 +0200

On 14 Apr 2002 11:58:31 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > Well, I have created the catalogue template with all of waste's
> > edge's strings that are in need of translation. Unless I forgot
> > something, there are 1125 of them. Find it attached to this mail.
>
> Unless I missed it, I think the credit sequence isn't included.

I excluded that for now. The main reason is that I wouldn't know how to
translate half of the stuff ;). But if you think it should be included,
I'll include it.

> What's the problem with gettextize currently? Why should we use
> pygettext instead?

xgettext doesn't support python source files. So using gettextize does
not work, unless we adapt it.

> Another thing I wonder, say we have a dozen translations, and some
> strings are changed/added. Will gettext only patch the existing
> translations so translators don't have to redo the whole thing? (I
> suppose yes, but don't know how)

Well, I copied your french translation into the po directory and ran
make. First, it produced the wastesedge.pot which wasn't there yet, then
it merged it with fr.po. So that shouldn't be a problem as such.
Unfortunately, something went wrong and I haven't had the time to look
what it was.

But to answer your question: already translated parts won't get lost.

> Right. We should try to keep the same "spirit" in all the
> translations. Of course the translator has to adapt the stuff to his
> language, but until

I meant rather technical issues, like embedded macros ($name and $fm{/})
and embedded python methods ($python_method).