Re: [Adonthell-devel] i18n improvements

From: Kai Sterker
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] i18n improvements
Date: Sat, 13 Apr 2002 21:31:54 +0200

On 13 Apr 2002 20:32:29 +0200 Alexandre Courbot wrote:

> > I searched a little bit what's wrong, looking the CVS logs, but I'm
> > not enough into gettext and nls to guess what's wrong. Can you have
> > a look?
>
> Well, eventually there wasn't much changes so it was easy to figure
> out. The removal of
>
> setlocale (LC_MESSAGES, "");
>
> at the beginning of nls::init makes the environment variables
> unefficient. Don't know what was wrong with it? I left things as they
> were on the CVS - you know better than me why you removed it.

Right. But the new code in prefs.cc reads them anyway, so it doesn't
matter :). Possibly examining the return value of setlocale
(LC_MESSAGES, "") might do the same, but I'm not really sure. However,
if we chose to leave the language config option unset, unless the player
enters a value, it might be better to use the call to setlocale instead
of my code.

> As for the config file, I figured out by looking at prefs.cc that it
> needed to be enclosed into [] like this:
>
> Language [fr_FR]
>
> Weird, I did without before and was almost sure it worked... Well,
> nothing serious anyway :)

Nah. Strings needed to be enclosed in brackets since the beginning. Only
ints need none. That makes the parser much easier.