Re: [Adonthell-devel] i18n improvements

From: Alexandre Courbot
Subject: Re: [Adonthell-devel] i18n improvements
Date: 13 Apr 2002 20:44:57 +0200

> That would explain your problem. Still it wouldn't work correctly unless
> one of these variables was defined. As I said, I fixed that. Right now,
> it will have a look at those variables when writing adonthellrc and from
> then on use only the value specified in adonthellrc. That means, you can
> pop up the console and type 'nls_set_language ("<new language>")' to
> switch to a different language at runtime :).

Ah, ok. So that explains why the environment variables weren't taken
into account. Not that that's a big problem, but maybe it'd be better if
it still refered to them in case the Language isn't written in an
already existing config file (was my case, as I'm an old Adonthell
player now ;)) - the value in the config file overriding everything, of
course. Players who already have a config file won't have Language set,
you see.

I also wonder whether the default value in the config file shouldn't
simply be []. If the user wants a specific language, he can edit the
config file (or later use the option screen). But if he wants to play in
a different language, the first action will be to change LC_ALL, which
won't work. And, flankly, just changing an environment variable to
change the language is l33t! :) (although - I've tried changing with the
Python console as you adviced, and it works (big smile on my face). THAT
is much more l33t ;)) Well, don't know which way would be better. Let's
hear your arguments :)

> > Sure. Actually I only translated two sentences at first, but just for
> > you I've finished demo_intro_1 and talan_start ;) Have fun!
>
> Thanks! Now I can work on my French :). C'est bon!

Ach! Ich bin waiting für die Deutsch Verzionnen! :)

> Hm, msgfmt complained that latin-1 isn't very portable. I was using
> ISO-8859-15 for my translations, and there was no warning. Or does
> msgfmt perhaps complain if the .po file uses a encoding that differs
> from the default encoding on my box (which is ISO-8859-15)?

You're right. And, ISO-8859-15 has this advantage over ISO-8859-1 that
it we could use the Euro as Adonthell's money! (just kidding :p)

> > ... on the other hand, there is A LOT of stuff to translate. Only
> > Talan is 109 sentences already!
>
> All in all there will be more than 1000, I believe. I should be able to
> generate the ultimate .pot file today, then we'll see.

Much more than 1000, I think. It's a short adventure, but a lot of work
already!

One nice thing to do too would be to write READMEs and PLAYING files in
every supported language. Or, even better, replace useless 'option' menu
entry with a 'help' one, which would display playing instructions in the
right language, of course. Compiling instructions do not need to be
translated I think.

Alex.
--
http://www.gnurou.org