Re: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 21:34:18 +0100

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> 3. We have a branch
>> remotes/origin/dev/guilev2
>> Makes sense to checkout it?
>> (It should, ofcourse, I'll test tomorrow)
>
> I've rebased it now, basically chucking one superseded commit.  It now
> contains two commits that likely don't hurt, but I am also skeptical
> that either will help.  Both concern trouble when loading utf-8 files.
>
> So you can git fetch again and then give origin/dev/guilev2 another try.
>
> The last commit is pretty much guaranteed to stop having an effect with
> Guile-2.1 at the latest.  Mark Weaver claims that Guile-2.0 should still
> have the previous behavior (where the patch helped) but I'm skeptical.
> What I remember is that it worked at some point of time (Guile-2.0.8 or
> something) and then stopped in 2.0.10 or 2.0.11.  It's possible I got
> versions or symptomes mixed up at some point of time: at least a cursory
> grep and glance at the respective range of changes in Guile did not turn
> up any likely candidate for trouble.

Ok, I rebased and pushed the last work I did on the encoding stuff to
dev/guilev21.  This (single commit) is the code that will be necessary
for Guile-2.1 and it was the one that, again, failed working with any
Guile version at the time I wrote it following advice of Mark Weaver.
Which was what finally made me give up on the last try.

The responsible bug is now claimed to be fixed, but the fix will only
appear in Guile-2.0.12 so one currently needs to work with the
stable-2.0 branch instead of anything released yet.