Re: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 22:02:51 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> Current state:

> $ guile-2.0
> GNU Guile 2.0.11
> [...]
>
> I managed to run
> ../configure --enable-guile2
> without error and got a successful build with simple `make'
>

> The very first file I then tried to compile contained nothing else then:
>
> \version "2.19.36"
> { c''1 }
>
> And already a problem. See attached cut-off png.
>
> I think it's one of the encoding problems you already mentioned,
> causing ly:wide-char->utf-8 not to work properly.
>
> ly:wide-char->utf-8 is directly used in markup-commands \char (as
> already said) and \concat, as well as in \tagline and (but commented)
> in some definitions of chord-modifiers-init.ly.
>
> ly:wide-char->utf-8 seems to be defined in lily/general-scheme.cc

That one looks actually ok I think.  The problem is likely everything
else.  Cough, cough.

> Questions:
> 1. Does it make sense to proceed with GNU Guile 2.0.11 or should I try
> to get GNU Guile 2.1.1.90-4137c to work?

Neither.  Check out the stable-2.0 branch.

> 2. What does the patch you mentioned cure already?

Reading utf-8 directly from files.

> 3. We have a branch
> remotes/origin/dev/guilev2
> Makes sense to checkout it?
> (It should, ofcourse, I'll test tomorrow)

See "followup" mail.  I could have sworn I had already sent _this_ mail,
so the followup mail may be a bit confusing without this one.