guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2016 23:06:10 +0100

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

[...]
>> Btw, you complained repeatedly about noone else but you cares about
>> moving to guilev2.  Otoh, I remember you wrote, all low hanging fruits
>> are done already.
>>
>> I always felt I wouldn't have the needed depth to help, I never asked
>> expecitely, though.
>
> The one thing that needs to be done next is seeing where current Guile
> stable-2.0 sits with respect to encoding problems.  I think I have a
> patch somewhere that is supposed to work with current versions.  But
> 2.0.12 (?) has not been released yet and anyway will take some time to
> make it into Ubuntu, so one needs to work with one's own compilations.
> And I was just too tired to pick this up again after the last round of
> fixes.
>
> At any rate, the encoding problems concern the C/Scheme interplay
> mostly.  So it's indeed not really a field where you specifically would
> not be likely to make progress once you did get stuck.
>
> Once the encoding business is past, the next stretches to be covered
> would likely be mostly Scheme-only, and then trying to bring a sensible
> way for precompiling/installing the Scheme files to bytecode into the
> Makefiles and cross-compilations.
>
> I don't know what the current Guile-2.0 situation is, but compiling
> Guile-2.1 (namely master) is insane.  It takes about a day on my
> computer.

Took me ~8h

> I don't really have much of a clue about Gub: it might be
> that this only needs to be done once per platform and then you can keep
> the stuff around for the next releases.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Now I'm at:

~$ cd ../../usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/guile-2.0/bin
address@hidden /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/guile-2.0/bin$ ./guile
GNU Guile 2.0.11
Copyright (C) 1995-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.

Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.

Enter `,help' for help.
scheme@(guile-user)> (version)
$1 = "2.0.11"
scheme@(guile-user)>

Looks ok?
Next step would be (trying) to compile LilyPond with guilev2, right?
There is an option to do that, I vaguely remember. Let's see, if I find it ...

Then start tackling problems.

Cheers,
  Harm