Re: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 2016 00:22:25 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

>>> Btw, it wasn't entirely clear to me that guilev2.x changes essential
>>> stuff that often.
>>> Exactly which guile-version are we aiming for?
>>
>> The non-existing 2.0.12.  Currently, the stable-2.0 branch.  The main
>> challenge currently seems to be compiling LilyPond with a Guile version
>> that is not installed on your system.
>
> To be sure, the exercise is:
>
> (1) checkout the marked branch
>
> ~/guile (master)$ git branch -a
> * master
[...]
>   remotes/origin/stable-2.0
> ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
[...]

> (2) Compile it
> (3) Build LilyPond with this guile somehow
>
> Correct?

It's the basis for making more tangible progress.  You can, of course,
try finding yet another route around all the problems ailing 2.0.11, but
it's unlikely to continue working in 2.1.

If you look in the Guile bug database, you'll find a number of bug
reports from me over the last years.  More often than not, I gave up at
some point of time and picked up only once a problem was fixed in
released packages of Guile.

The current release frequency of Guile, if nothing else, makes that a
bad bargain.  If we continue digging up problems in comparable number,
waiting for another release to trickle down into Ubuntu for every single
problem is just no sensible plan.  So we'll need a way to get bug fixes
in Guile back into LilyPond as they get done rather than waiting for a
full official release each time and its adoption by Ubuntu.