Re: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 2016 20:42:17 +0100

Current state:

[...]
>> I don't know what the current Guile-2.0 situation is, but compiling
>> Guile-2.1 (namely master) is insane.  It takes about a day on my
>> computer.
>
> Took me ~8h
>
> Now I'm at:
>
> ~$ cd ../../usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/guile-2.0/bin
> address@hidden /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/guile-2.0/bin$ ./guile
> GNU Guile 2.0.11
[...]

Correction. The above mentioned guilev2 is _not_ the one I compiled
myself. Don't know where it comes from.

I found the correct one in:

~$ cd guile/meta/
address@hidden ~/guile/meta (master)$ ./guile
GNU Guile 2.1.1.90-4137c
[...]

Ofcourse.

> Next step would be (trying) to compile LilyPond with guilev2, right?
> There is an option to do that, I vaguely remember. Let's see, if I find it ...

> --with-guilev2 I think, but it's mentioned when doing ./configure --help
>
> But you have to point it to your guilev2 libraries somehow.

Up to now I couldn't figure how to do so.

Thus, and to avoid any 64-bit-problems I've set up newest LilyDev.
Installing guilev2 there.

$ guile-2.0
GNU Guile 2.0.11
[...]

I managed to run
../configure --enable-guile2
without error and got a successful build with simple `make'

The very first file I then tried to compile contained nothing else then:

\version "2.19.36"
{ c''1 }

And already a problem. See attached cut-off png.

I think it's one of the encoding problems you already mentioned,
causing ly:wide-char->utf-8 not to work properly.

ly:wide-char->utf-8 is directly used in markup-commands \char (as
already said) and \concat, as well as in \tagline and (but commented)
in some definitions of chord-modifiers-init.ly.

ly:wide-char->utf-8 seems to be defined in lily/general-scheme.cc

Questions:
1. Does it make sense to proceed with GNU Guile 2.0.11 or should I try
to get GNU Guile 2.1.1.90-4137c to work?
2. What does the patch you mentioned cure already?
3. We have a branch
remotes/origin/dev/guilev2
Makes sense to checkout it?
(It should, ofcourse, I'll test tomorrow)

Well, that's my current state, to tired to continue today.

So far, cheers,
  Harm