Re: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: guilev2-work [was: LilyPond boolean syntax? \true and \false]
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 2016 23:52:29 +0100

Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:

> address@hidden /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/guile-2.0/bin$ ./guile
> GNU Guile 2.0.11
> Copyright (C) 1995-2014 Free Software Foundation, Inc.
>
> Guile comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY; for details type `,show w'.
> This program is free software, and you are welcome to redistribute it
> under certain conditions; type `,show c' for details.
>
> Enter `,help' for help.
> scheme@(guile-user)> (version)
> $1 = "2.0.11"
> scheme@(guile-user)>
>
> Looks ok?

I seem to remember you had to run meta/guile in order to have it find
its modules.

> Next step would be (trying) to compile LilyPond with guilev2, right?

Sure.

> There is an option to do that, I vaguely remember. Let's see, if I find it ...

--with-guilev2 I think, but it's mentioned when doing ./configure --help

But you have to point it to your guilev2 libraries somehow.

> Then start tackling problems.

The files using utf-8 in the input bomb out or do nonsensical things.
Once you get there, I should have some patch here that might now work
better than before, using binary string streams from R6RS which
previously lost proper position in connection with #{ #}.

The \char markup's internal work function does not do the correct thing
in Guilev2 and probably needs some #ifdef for an alternate approach.
There is something ly_scm2string or the other way round that likely
needs to be split into several different variants (for latin1 which is a
euphemism for binary and for utf8, and possibly even for locale) and its
uses need to be checked and distributed among the appropriate version.

Copying of fonts into PDF files had some encoding problem I think, at
least for some fonts (either OTF or Type1 I think).