RE: [Gomp-discuss] Copyright Assignment

From: Scott Robert Ladd
Subject: RE: [Gomp-discuss] Copyright Assignment
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 14:06:02 -0500

Diego Novillo wrote:
> Well, yes.  The GNU world is just like any other tribal
> community with its habits, informal procedures and customs.
> Remember that many members of these highly technical projects
> have impressive technical skills and less than impressive
> social skills.

Free software is more anarchy than tribe. None of the above is any excuse
for a lack of civility, especially when GNU is essentially asking for a
handout.

Of course, I understood the nature of the beast; that doesn't mean I like
it, or think bad behavior should be rewarded or condoned.

> Newcomers pay the price of admission.  I'm not saying it's fair,
> I'm saying that is how it works.  We all had to pay the price in
> one form or another.

The free software is the loser, by driving away many (I I do know many) who
simply don't want the heartburn. The environmental and social justice
movements (with which I have some experience) operating in much the same
way: They nee volunteer labor, but tend to be quite exclusive and elitist in
their treatment of new members. In the end, everyone loses.

> The only advice I can give you is to grow thicker skin.  GCC is
> not the meanest project, though.  Consider linux-kernel. Now,
> those folks can be brutal  :)

Tell me about it. Nasty group.

> That's also a valid option.  I've considered that many times in
> the past.  But since I also lived in academia for a few years,
> I'm used to sociopaths  ;)

I'm familiar with that environment! The question alwasy is: Will the cost of
growing a thicker skin balance the benefit of participation? Or would energy
be better spent in other ways?

I guess I'll stick around. :) I just think there is a better way of
developing "free" software than trial-by-fire.

..Scott