Re: [Gomp-discuss] Copyright Assignment

From: Diego Novillo
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Copyright Assignment
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 12:56:53 -0500

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Steven Bosscher wrote:

> Just worried about the design, maybe.
> In fact, I think the more we try to get them to feel they're involved,
> which they obviously are, the easier it is to get our work accepted in
> the end.  After all, it was us who had to discuss everything in a
> separate list and just dump an intimidating plan in the gcc list. Maybe
> that wasn't so smart, in retrospect...

Nope, getting into a pointless flamewar was not very smart
(sorry, but that's how I saw things from the outside).  You need
to come in with *technical* not *philosophical* arguments.

Starting with a branch, you are free to do whatever you choose.
The technical discussions are all posted to the GCC lists so that
everyone can either follow them, ignore them or participate.

Little by little you start building the infrastructure.  You will
make many mistakes in the implementation, correct them, make new
ones and correct them again.  In time, you will have a working
piece of code that you can then start proposing to be included in
mainline.

By then, you will have very precise facts, results and experience
with real programs that you have put through the new system.  If
you can show good progress and the design makes sense from a
technical point of view, it will be difficult to reject.

Diego.