Re: [Gomp-discuss] Copyright Assignment

From: Diego Novillo
Subject: Re: [Gomp-discuss] Copyright Assignment
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 13:29:15 -0500

On Tue, 11 Feb 2003, Scott Robert Ladd wrote:

> > Definitely.  You cannot contribute code to GCC if you don't have
> > an copyright assignment with the FSF.
>
> It would be nice if the people who keep saying "yeah, you need one" would
> actually tell me where to go about doing such... ;)

Heh, I just realized that in my original message I hadn't
actually sent you the forms.  You should've gotten them by now.
Fill it out and send it to the FSF folks.

> Like many poeple, I have never contributed to a GNU project before; please
> excuse my ignornace. Considering that all my polite questions seem to be met
> with obtuse or condescending answers, [ ... ]

Well, yes.  The GNU world is just like any other tribal
community with its habits, informal procedures and customs.
Remember that many members of these highly technical projects
have impressive technical skills and less than impressive
social skills.

Newcomers pay the price of admission.  I'm not saying it's fair,
I'm saying that is how it works.  We all had to pay the price in
one form or another.

The only advice I can give you is to grow thicker skin.  GCC is
not the meanest project, though.  Consider linux-kernel. Now,
those folks can be brutal  :)

> [ ... ] I'm reconsidering whether to work on this at all!

That's also a valid option.  I've considered that many times in
the past.  But since I also lived in academia for a few years,
I'm used to sociopaths  ;)

Diego.