RE: [Gomp-discuss] Copyright Assignment

From: Steven Bosscher
Subject: RE: [Gomp-discuss] Copyright Assignment
Date: 11 Feb 2003 19:51:01 +0100

Op di 11-02-2003, om 19:17 schreef Scott Robert Ladd:
> > Nah, that's just Per "Bad Motivator" Bothner.  I think the rest of the
> > GCC people were not so negative.  Just worried about the design, maybe.
> > In fact, I think the more we try to get them to feel they're involved,
> > which they obviously are, the easier it is to get our work accepted in
> > the end.  After all, it was us who had to discuss everything in a
> > separate list and just dump an intimidating plan in the gcc list. Maybe
> > that wasn't so smart, in retrospect...
>
> Given my choice, I would have avoided discussing anything with the gcc group
> until we had a bit more organization and definition for our task. In the
> business world, I rarely broach proposals until I'm sure all my ducks are
> quacking in line. This is especially true when dealing with a group like
> GNU.

Open source is different from business.  I think in the open source
(Free Software, whatever) the powers that be have a right to know what
you're doing from the start.  That would probably avoid the exchanges of
unfriendlyness we had yesterday.

When you come with a finished proposal to the GCC ducks, they turn their
back on you and fly away.  Instead, you should approach them slowly;
bring some bread, but not in big slices.  Small pieces!  Don't throw it
at them like you want to hit them.  Do it gently.  They'll be quacking
in line unless your bread is really rotten.

Maybe our slice was too big.  But generally the GCC community isn't so
bad (go try the *BSD communities...).  How many really sore mails did we
get?  I only saw two (and one of my own :-/).  The rest of them were not
that unreasonable and some of them were very useful IMO.

Greetz
Steven