Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 22:27:48 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
It seems like a huge mess to me...  E.g. what's the status of all the
stuff merged into the "prerelease" by James -- and the corresponding
bugs closed?  Does all that have to be re-submitted now?  Where?  How?
When?  [What?]

Not to mention Why. We were 1 line of code away from the best release of tla since 1.2 came out last February. I haven't heard a convincing argument that we should abandon the work we put into it. Sure, we should consider new ways of moving forward, but I think we should grandfather 1.2.2 and get it out.

I believe it was and is just a matter of someone willing to
do the work.

No one stepped up to the plate...

I don't think that's quite it. jblack had pretty much done all the work. After we hit the wall between him and Tom, Tom came back with the new style for merging into mainstream arch. Where all changes are split up into special branches to retain the history, etc, etc.

I believe that tla-1.2.2rc2 was just waiting for final approval from Tom to be released as tla-1.2.2. Since Tom changed his mind about how releases should be done, he probably isn't going to approve 1.2.2 as an official release.

I agree with Aaron, though. That Tom should go ahead and review and release 1.2.2 as an official version, and then move on to tla 1.3. That way we at least have an interim release which avoids some of the problems with 1.2.1 official (like the 1k boundary stuff.)

John
=:->