getting stuff moving (was Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventio

From: Matthew Dempsky
Subject: getting stuff moving (was Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions)
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 00:15:01 -0500

Aaron Bentley <address@hidden> writes:

> Miles Bader wrote:
>> It seems like a huge mess to me...  E.g. what's the status of all the
>> stuff merged into the "prerelease" by James -- and the corresponding
>> bugs closed?  Does all that have to be re-submitted now?  Where?  How?
>> When?  [What?]
>
> Not to mention Why.  We were 1 line of code away from the best release
> of tla since 1.2 came out last February.  I haven't heard a convincing
> argument that we should abandon the work we put into it.  Sure, we
> should consider new ways of moving forward, but I think we should
> grandfather 1.2.2 and get it out.

If grandfathering the current code proposed for 1.2.2 would be the
most expedient way of getting everybody in gear for the new merging
style, I'd be in favour of it.

Pending Tom's approval, I'm willing to work with James to setup a
cascade branch to expediently, but carefully, integrate the patches he
has already merged.  After that, however, I would like to emphasize
the new merge mechanism as the proper way to get patches into
mainline.

On that note, there are still outstanding arguments that have been
raised in #arch about the new policies draft which haven't been fully
explored on the mailing list.  Perhaps those should be discussed so
that we can agree on a policy to be implemented.  I know patch log
pruning rather than compression was at least one of the complaints
that had been voiced.  (The copyright assignment was another complaint
I've heard, but that has begun to be discussed.)