Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: mlh
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 14:31:44 +1000

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 08:33:34AM +1000, Zenaan Harkness wrote:
> [ ... ]
> <angry frustrated Jerry Springer rant response>
> So call the damn option --null-termination. Hell, why are people
> being so pedantic here. If the point is that Tom point blank _refuses_
> to have any such option, firstly I don't believe you, and secondly

        http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-03/msg00740.html

        "Null quoting (like find's print0) is completely
        inappropriate for those purposes."

        "The -print0 hack is a broken idea."

By the sound of that, Tom is going to replace all of unix
from libc up.

> if he did then the reasonable responses might be:
>  - Tom, show us the alternative you've just coded ("tla xargs" etc)
>  - fork tla
>
> But hell, this is basic functionality we're talking. If someone
> goes so far as to implement it, what's the problem.

Welcome to gnuarch.

You are in a maze of twisty little revisions all different.
There are many irritating sharp corners here.

I've given up complaining, because
        1. it does no good
        2. i've gotten used to the sharp corners mostly
        2. the fundamental design is so excellent it seems
            churlish to complain

Which would be ok because I could scratch my own itch.
However gnuarch seems to have eruptions every now and
then which make navigation difficult.

Matt