Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: Zenaan Harkness
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 08:33:34 +1000

> > At the end of the day, I suspect code talks well enough that a
> > pika-escape-removing, null-termination-adding _option_ (say, perhaps,
> > "-0" comes to mind :) would be acceptable.
>
> Tom seems to have an intense dislike for short options that are digits, so it
> may not be.

I don't know why, but I'm feeling really infurated this morning,
and not for the first time...

<angry frustrated Jerry Springer rant response>
So call the damn option --null-termination. Hell, why are people
being so pedantic here. If the point is that Tom point blank _refuses_
to have any such option, firstly I don't believe you, and secondly
if he did then the reasonable responses might be:
 - Tom, show us the alternative you've just coded ("tla xargs" etc)
 - fork tla

But hell, this is basic functionality we're talking. If someone
goes so far as to implement it, what's the problem.

It's sure as hell not that the option name is a single letter.

Many tla options have both single letter as well as long options.
</>

OK, sorry for losing it - I'm back now.

To summarise: if anyone actually bothers to write this code,
I'm sure we can work out some mutually agreeable plan for
adoption, future migration to "better"/idealistic alternatives
or whatever.

For now, since no one is popping up with the code, it's all
a moot point anyway.

Thanks for your contribution to the conversation :)

cheers
zen