gap-dev-discuss

Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Talksoup - bugs?

From: Sebastian Reitenbach
Subject: Re: [Gap-dev-discuss] Talksoup - bugs?
Date: Sun, 08 Sep 2013 14:20:19 +0200

On Sunday, September 8, 2013 12:19 CEST, Riccardo Mottola <address@hidden>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> On 09/07/13 14:42, Sebastian Reitenbach wrote:
> >
> > On Friday, September 6, 2013 11:18 CEST, "Sebastian Reitenbach"
> > <address@hidden> wrote:
> >

> >> Maybe its something to do with NS(U)Integer changes, old gnustep, and old
> >> talksoup
> >> likely agreed with what they had, but now old talksoup, and new gnustep,
> >> don't agree
> >> anymore. At least I get a lot of runtime warnings from libobjc2 when
> >> compiled with
> >> DEBUG. I need to setup a host with clang, to hopefully get more valuable
> >> output
> >> when compiling.
> > I made a test on an older 5.1 OpenBSD, with following packages installed:
> > nustep-make-2.6.1
> > gnustep-base-1.22.1p0
> > gnustep-gui-0.20.0
> > gnustep-back-0.20.1p1
> > gnustep-netclasses-1.06
> > talksoup-1.0alpha
> >
> > The alpha version, just with a few patches to actually let it compile and
> > install.
> >
> > With the older GNUstep versions, the /join #gnustep
> > just worked as expected. So with newer gnustep base/gui, there is something
> > broken :(
>
> Interesting. Are you able to try "current CVS" ? that is, the one with
> the NSObjectAdditions patch I merged in?

I now also tried the current CVS version on i386, -current, with all gnustep
packages latest releases. Also there, I can join a channel, and also here, the
channel tab opens. But to join the channel, I have to give a fake password:
/j #gnustep blah

This is the same setup I have like on amd64, all gnustep with latest releases,
but there on /j #gnustep blah, the channel tab doesn't open.

Libobjc2 is still 1.6.1, not the latest release, but on both, i386 and amd64.

But this problem with the exception I got with some intermediate versions is
gone.
At least now with the not opening tab, I would guess its a NS(U)Integer problem.
When we get those compilation warnings fixed, and the maybe remaining runtime
warnings, I'd suspect, it should also work on amd64 as expected.
Why with newer versions, we have to give a fake password, may or may not be
a different problem.

cheers,
Sebastian