Re: [glob2-devel] Music

From: Kai Antweiler
Subject: Re: [glob2-devel] Music
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 13:04:39 +0100

> Sorry but I have to oppose this. I think that with the dynamic mixing of the
> three types of music we have a moderately original (LucasGames did it with
> imuse at the end of the last century) that can give great feedback to the
> user.

Also, I wouldn't like too loose our current music.

> I agree we should have longer musics, and why not more than three ambiances,
> but I think that we should not remove this mixing system without a
> consultation with the community (and with the original author of this system,
> who is me).

We should care about the conditions that trigger the music.
If we want our music to express a proper mood at a given time,
we're currently do a bad job.  Not every explorer that flies near the
enemy should put us into war-mood for 2 seconds.

We are currently mixing two different functions:
1.music shall alert us
2.music shall fit to the mood
The first one can be done better by sound effects.

If we would wait whether our units are in danger for a few seconds,
this would reduce false mood switches in the music.
We also could give the music composer the chance of determining
certain points in time (for each music) at which the music allows for
smooth mixing to another peace of music - or certain intervals that
postpone a music change for astetic reasons.

So instead of triggering after 10 seconds of attack, we could wait 4
seconds and trigger at the next possible/convenient time.

Using sound effects for alerts, also will prepare the user that a
change in music might happen soon.  So this adds to the smoothness.

I think this are fairer conditions to the composer.
Our current war music is IMHO the weakest music buy far.
And I believe it is that way because of the hard constrains - that
it has to alert (with a lot of short and false alerts) and fit a mood at the
same time. Constantly starting at the beginning and ending quickly.
There is no chance to develop any theme for this short time that would
also be useful for hours of glob2-battles.
--
Kai Antweiler