Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Windows

From: Brian Dean
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Windows
Date: Wed, 12 Feb 2003 19:04:36 -0500

On Wed, Feb 12, 2003 at 04:45:28PM -0700, E. Weddington wrote:

> Also, the defines
> DEFAULT_PARALLEL
> DEFAULT_SERIAL

I'm wondering if these wouldn't be better set in the config file
instead of compiled in.

> And which would be better?:
> 1. One monolithic ppi.c file that has conditional compilation between
> platforms.
> 2. One ppi*.c file per platform and configure and auto* tools take
> care of building the right makefile per platform.

I can really go either way on this.  In working up a split, I now
remember why I didn't do it the first time around, and that is that no
other routines require parallel port access outside of the generic
parallel port programmer interface.  Thus, it doesn't make a lot of
sense to split these routines off from a modularity perspective.  In
fact, I think all the ppi_* routines could be declared static within
ppi.c (except for ppi_initpgm(), but I plan to fix that shortly).

But ... if splitting these makes it easier to support additional OS's
by having these in a seperate file, then that's fine too.  I'll hold
off until Joerg and Ted get a chance to comment before doing anything
drastic.

-Brian