Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Windows

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Windows
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 17:29:05 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> What default values will this config file contain? Windows users are
> going to want to use this "out of the box".

The config file itself cannot work "out of the box".  Think about it,
how do you know whether Windows user #1 has an AVR910-based
programmer, #2 uses an STK, and #3 has a simple 5-wire dongle
connected directly to his parallel port at address 0x3bc?

So all you can do to improve the situation is to request these
particular settings from the user during installation, and save it in
a modified config file.

Maybe it's a good idea to have a system-wide config file (defining the
possible parts and programmers in general), and a user config file
that overrides the installation settings.  It always bothered me a bit
that i have to copy & change the template file to match my
programmer...  Could be done via "include", but the current mechanism
that selects the default programmer doesn't allow this.