Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Windows

From: Joerg Wunsch
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Windows
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 21:49:55 +0100

As E. Weddington wrote:

> You're right of course, it shouldn't just look in the current
> directory. On Windows, the most common method is to search the
> current directory first, then the PATH. Would that be too uncommon on
> Unices?

Yes, very. :-)

$PATH is only for executables, not for configuration files.  The
current directory is for data, not for configuration files. ;-) $HOME
(with a filename starting with a dot), followed by a system-wide
configuration file (like /usr/local/etc or /etc) are meant for
configuration files.

But it should be simple to #ifdef this.  As i wrote, an additional
search for $HOME/.avrprogrc under Unix would be a nice thing to have
anyway (this is approximately the equivalent of looking in the current
directory first on DOS/Winows), followed by a compile-time configured
system-wide directory on Unix, maybe an installation-time specified
directory on Windows (location could be recorded in the registry).

> I would prefer not having to set an additional environment variable

Sure.  I think it's more appropriate for Windows to use the registry
for this, instead of an environemental variable.  However, this would
require a "setup.exe" equivalent. ;-)

> And same with a Windows registry
> entry; prefer not to, but it can be done.

You can always fall back to a compile-time configured directory, but
due to this CP/M "drive letter" concept Windows is still using, you'd
make it impossible for the user to install it e. g. on another disk
then.