Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Windows

From: E. Weddington
Subject: Re: [avrdude-dev] avrdude on Windows
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 09:45:18 -0700

On 13 Feb 2003 at 17:29, Joerg Wunsch wrote:

> As E. Weddington wrote:
>
> > What default values will this config file contain? Windows users are
> > going to want to use this "out of the box".
>
> The config file itself cannot work "out of the box".  Think about it,
> how do you know whether Windows user #1 has an AVR910-based
> programmer, #2 uses an STK, and #3 has a simple 5-wire dongle
> connected directly to his parallel port at address 0x3bc?
>
> So all you can do to improve the situation is to request these
> particular settings from the user during installation, and save it in
> a modified config file.

Not quite what I meant.

Currently in main.c are Unix definitions:

#define DEFAULT_PARALLEL "/dev/ppi0"
#define DEFAULT_SERIAL   "/dev/cuaa0"

Which is meaningless in Windows. Windows would have something like:

#define DEFAULT_PARALLEL "lpt1"
#define DEFAULT_SERIAL   "com1"

If you put the Unix definitions in the config file then that config
file won't work "out of the box" for Windows users and vice versa.

If we keep these definitions in the code and not in the config, then
they will be built-in according to the platform that is running.

These definitions could be located in a ppi.h for Unix and a ppiwin.h
for Windows.

Eric