[Savannah-hackers] Re: Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah an

From: Paolo Bonzini
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah and non-GNU software)
Date: Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:06:12 +0100 (CET)

> This might be possible, if we wanted "savannah" to be the name of the
> general free software site, and "subversions" to be the GNU-only one.

Nice.  The general free software site needs an ear-catching name, and
savannah fits that (even though I liked freefoundry a lot too).

> I am not sure what you could mean by this.  It's very clearly
> defined---there is a specific list of programs that are GNU.

That programs not strictly part of an OS are part of GNU -- for example, a
few applications (to cite the most used, the GIMP, and to cite two exotic
ones, ggradebook and RAT), languages that are not really system languages
(my own Smalltalk for example, or Sather).  All these fit a wider purpose
than being part of GNU.

Other programs are hosted on gnu.org but are non-GNU -- some can be said
to be system software, like Flex or Smail or maybe CVS, some are not, like
ispell, and FreeDOS is a different OS entirely (albeit with a different
purpose and target).  It's easy to get the idea that everything can be
hosted on gnu.org if `somebody' (an undefined entity...) likes it; the
picture needs to be clarified.

--