[Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: Jeff Bailey
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 10:34:50 -0800

On Wed, Mar 21, 2001 at 07:08:39PM +0100, Paolo Bonzini wrote:
> > Personally, I still find "non-gnu.fsf.org" as a bit problematic---it looks
> > like an endorsement by the FSF, even if it's clear that it's not part of
> > GNU.
>
> Isn't it so?
>
> A non-gnu.fsf.org would emphasize the difference between
> Open Source and Free software.

IIRC, 'subversions' (the box that runs savannah) is not an FSF machine.
It's owned by VA Linux, and operated by volunteers to the GNU Project.

This is a very important distinction to some of the subscribers to
savannah who have otherwise said they will not put their software on an
FSF controlled machine.

RMS has also indicated that the FSF is going to take on projects other
than GNU - Like the free encyclopedia, and others.  non-gnu.fsf.org could
offer alot of confusion with those other projects.

--
My UUism extends beyond national boundaries.