[Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:19:12 -0700 (MST)

    Actually the distinction between GNU and non-GNU is dim; and I think
    that it is not the right way to classify programs; few programs and
    libraries should indeed be part of GNU.  Maybe just the ones that
    are needed to compile it and boot it.

Our policy is that any program which is useful in the context of the
GNU system can be a GNU package, if we believe it enhances the system
and the developer wants to follow our policies and rules.  This was
decided long ago.