[Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 07:23:35 -0500

address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

>         - The www page goes in www.gnu.org/non-gnu instead of
>         www.gnu.org/software. To avoid confusion, this directory
>         could be served by non-gnu.fsf.org or something like this.
>         - The ftp repository could be ftp.gnu.org/non-gnu that already
>         exists.
>       - I'm not sure how easy it would be to separate the mailing lists
>       - I'm not sure how easy it would be to separate the GNATs
> databases

What about hosting the non-GNU "savannah" on an entirely different
machine, perhaps in a different domain name.  That is one of the ideas
that was originally proposed.  Loic, do you now see this as infeasible?

Personally, I still find "non-gnu.fsf.org" as a bit problematic---it looks
like an endorsement by the FSF, even if it's clear that it's not part of
GNU.  I think we'd be better off in a separate domain entirely, and a
separate machine.

Also, I am worried about the strain on the volunteer resources of managing
such a site.  Loic, do you think you'll be able to handle the load
indefinitely?