[Savannah-hackers] Re: Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah an

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah and non-GNU software)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 19:54:18 -0500

Paolo Bonzini <address@hidden> wrote:
> > If we wanted to go for the "NOT Sourceforge" idea
>
> I wouldn't go for it.  We'd put ourselves (FSF) into an
> unnecessarily attacking position.

I basically think your right --- it was just a thought.

> Why could not "Savannah" be in general the name of a Free Software
> project hosting service (unrelated to GNU software)?

This might be possible, if we wanted "savannah" to be the name of the
general free software site, and "subversions" to be the GNU-only one.

>  After all, the notion of a GNU project has already got broader and
> broader.

I am not sure what you could mean by this.  It's very clearly
defined---there is a specific list of programs that are GNU.  I'd like to
learn where you got the impression that there isn't a definitive
definition of what it means to be a GNU program or not, so that we can
clear up the confusion.  For example, is it not clear on our website?  If
not, where could it be clearer?