[Savannah-hackers] Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah and no

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Naming our sourceforge clone (was Re: Savannah and non-GNU software)
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:44:25 -0500

Jeff Bailey <address@hidden> wrote:

> RMS has also indicated that the FSF is going to take on projects other
> than GNU - Like the free encyclopedia, and others.  non-gnu.fsf.org
> could offer alot of confusion with those other projects.

I see this point, however, GNU is clearly a software project.  IMHO,
non-gnu indicates "software that isn't GNU".

I suppose we could go with non-gnu-software.fsf.org, but that's a bit
long.

software.fsf.org has been suggested, but I think that's confusing, too,
since GNU *is* software sponsored by the FSF.

Perhaps we simply need to "coin a name", like VA did with "sourceforge".
We coined "savannah", which is sourceforge-like site to host GNU projects.
We need to coin another term that refers to a "sourceforge-like site to
host general free software projects".

If we wanted to go for the "NOT Sourceforge" idea, we could be
grasp.fsf.org, where GRASP stands for: "GRASP Replaces A Sourceforge
Project".  There are probably other cute acronyms we could come up with of
this nature.