[Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 20:19:18 -0700 (MST)

    IIRC, 'subversions' (the box that runs savannah) is not an FSF machine.

Sure it is.

    It's owned by VA Linux, and operated by volunteers to the GNU Project.

Those are true facts, but we don't make a distinction about this.
(Machines owned by the FSF often are maintained by volunteers, and in
the past that was more true than it is now.)

    This is a very important distinction to some of the subscribers to
    savannah who have otherwise said they will not put their software on an
    FSF controlled machine.

I've never heard anyone say this.  I did hear some people say they
didn't want to use a GNU machine, because GNU machines were run by
untrustworthy volunteers.  I hope that, thanks to your good work, that
prejudice has ceased to be believable.  I've been looking forward for
a couple of years to putting a stake through its heart.

It was distressing to see that instead of staying in the crypt, the
prejudice might be transplanted from "GNU machines" to "FSF machines".
Neither the GNU Project nor the FSF will go along with that.  If the
distinction between "GNU machines" and "FSF machines" provides a way
for the prejudice continue, then we will put a stake through that
distinction too.