Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software

From: Bradley M. Kuhn
Subject: Re: [Savannah-hackers] Re: Savannah and non-GNU software
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 10:43:33 -0500

address@hidden <address@hidden> wrote:

>  It is feasible. But it also requires a lot more work. Basically it
> requires to setup one or two machines with : sourceforge + ftp + www +
> mailman + gnats + cvs and maintain them. We will basically re-produce
> every single service that currently exists on gnu.org.

Ok, if it's hard, then we should just use the same machine then.  Can you
roughly estimate how many projects we can handle before the machine
becomes too overloaded?

>  No, of course. But I'm not alone. Hugo & Jeff are dealing with
> Savannah/GNATs, Guillaume is dealing with Savannah/Mailman, Jaime
> recently arrived and deals with Savannah/webcvs.

I'd like to hear from these volunteers to know of they are ready to handle
an influx of non-GNU packages.  Are you?

> I'll put a lot more efforts than I previously did to recruit volunteers
> and coordinate them. I guess this will become easier when Savannah
> becomes more popular.

Ok, that's a good idea.  Of course, be careful who you select----the
volunteers need to know how to DTRT before we put them live on savannah.
savannah is going to be high-profile, and we need to train people well so
that it gets maintained well.

>  In other words, yes, I'll handle the load as long as it needs to be and
> do whatever is necessary to make sure someone is willing and able to
> take over before I actual resign to spend the rest of my life on a
> desert island.

That sounds good to me.  If you are willing to make that committment,
Loic, then I certainly trust that the job will be done, or that you'll be
sure to pass the baton before going to that island of yours.  ;)

The questions remaining is getting:

  * approval from RMS on the criterium we discussed: "Any free software
    program under a GPL-compatible license".

  * deciding on the name of the machine

  * general approval from RMS on the whole idea to go public soon.