Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Dustin Sallings
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 01:09:41 -0800

From: David Brown <address@hidden>

Personally, I think a case-insensitive filesystem is stupid
(think Unicode).  But, the two largest OS vendors ship with
them, and I think we're stuck with them for a while.

The pragmatic way to deal with that is by getting people to agree to
not create category and branch names that differ only in case --- not
by crippling tools.

``crippling'' is a strong word to use in a weak argument. The only justification I've seen for the current design is that it makes it slightly easier to see things that were related to the same version. If it does, it's still broken when people use different cases in category or branch names anyway.

        My suggestions were as follows:

1) Change the layout of the {arch} tree so it's rooted at the globally-unique archive which both avoids this type of conflict as well as seems to be more consistent with other areas of arch. It does break backwards compatibility, though.

2) Force category and branch names into a naming convention which will keep them consistent without breaking backwards compatibility.

The strategic way is to keep working on shifting the balance of power
so that people with your complaint will take it to their FS vendors
rather than to me.

Um, so we should all complain to Apple and Microsoft that their products are incompatible with arch? I really like this product, but I don't have time to explain what it is in the first place to companies too large to care in the hopes that they'll think it's important to change fundamental properties of their operating systems.

--
SPY                      My girlfriend asked me which one I like better.
pub  1024/3CAE01D5 1994/11/03 Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>