Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 02:05:30 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    > > The pragmatic way to deal with that is by getting people to agree to
    > > not create category and branch names that differ only in case --- not
    > > by crippling tools.

    >   ``crippling'' is a strong word to use in a weak argument.  The only
    > justification I've seen for the current design is that it makes it
    > slightly easier to see things that were related to the same version.

And there's the locality issue and the upward compatability issue and
the "that's how ever other tool also works" argument.

_Yours_ is the weak argument.   You're arguing for a change that
_will_not_solve_ the issues that can arise because of case insensitive
filesystems.   It will solve some particular instances of those
problems that you have encountered -- but at significant expense and
it will leave other issues unsolved.   As I said, you're proposing a
non-solution to a bogus problem.

    > Um, so we should all complain to Apple and Microsoft that their
    > products are incompatible with arch?

Why not?   Because they're richer than you?

That's a poor excuse for giving them a pass.

    > I really like this product, but I don't have time to explain
    > what it is in the first place to companies too large to care in
    > the hopes that they'll think it's important to change
    > fundamental properties of their operating systems.

Upgrade to better systems.   Just stop giving them money.