Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin

From: Tom Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: tla1.2 on cygwin
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2004 01:21:00 -0800 (PST)

    > From: Dustin Sallings <address@hidden>

    > On Mar 5, 2004, at 20:21, Tom Lord wrote:

    > > Personally, I have a little bit of trouble taking case insentive
    > > filesystems seriously.

    >   Turns out there are quite a few UNIX and Windows users out there with
    > case insensitive filesystems

Encourage them to upgrade.

    > and this particular design decision seems to do very little
    > other than to break archives that are ever checked out and then
    > recommitted by people who use [broken file systems].

    >   Does the rearrangement of the structure in this part of the design
    > have any positive effects?

Yes, and they've been explained.

    > It was brought up in this thread by a user
    > who finds it counterintuitive.  I don't believe this user is alone, but
    > I wouldn't be complaining if it hasn't caused me to actually break
    > archives when working on cross-platform, multi-user, distributed
    > applications.

What's that you say?  The sky is falling?   Interesting.

Your focused on a narrow issue that will _not_ solve the interop
problems that can arise because of case insensitive file systems.
So, you are asking for a non-solution to a bogus problem.