Re: [Simulavr-devel] A serial console utility

From: Bill
Subject: Re: [Simulavr-devel] A serial console utility
Date: Tue, 09 Nov 2004 00:55:47 -0500

Good work! Lots of info for me to work with.

Klaus and I have a few details to work out befor I release a current tarball. As you point out, you likely will have more useful contributions if you can build from CVS direct, so maybe this is a moot point. (well, not really...I still have to fix the problems in the build that you point out ;-)

Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into the --tag and tcl issues...something doesn't seem right here... I'm using libtool 1.5.2. Not sure when --tag=CXX was added. libtool --help describes a --tag flag...

As for tcl.h, where is yours? Did you install the development package? (I ask only to cover the basics...you seem to have a good grasp of how to beat this thing into submission)

Anyway, I detect where tcl libraries are, looks like I may need to detect tcl.h files too...

Robin Randhawa wrote:

Hi Bill, Klaus and everyone.

Well, its been a bit of a problem getting simulavrxx up so far but I
seem to have made a little progress.

Firstly, I'm using a Debian Sid Linux box and I apologise for such a
verbose mail. Just thought it might help others too.

The earlier error I reported with libtool, which was :
configure.ac:14: error: possibly undefined macro: AC_PROG_LIBTOOL
    See the Autoconf documentation.

....was because I had a development release of libtool installed. I
downgraded it to this one :

address@hidden:~/tmp/simulavr-cvs/simulavrxx/build$ libtool --version
ltmain.sh (GNU libtool) 1.4.3 (1.922.2.111 2002/10/23 02:54:36) Debian:
145 $

Bill, I did not have the AVR libbfd libraries installed even though I
have the binutils-avr debian package installed. This puzzles me since it
implies that libbfd is somehow statically linked into the binutils for
AVR!! I should check on this with nm or something I guess.

Anyways, I went ahead and got the latest binutils tarball
(binutils-2.15) and built for the avr with care to specify
"--enable-install-libbfd"

Now things moved ahead but I got this error on a make for simulavrxx:

address@hidden:~/tmp/simulavr-cvs/simulavrxx/build$ make
Making all in src
make[1]: Entering directory
`/home/robin/tmp/simulavr-cvs/simulavrxx/build/src'
/bin/sh ../libtool --tag=CXX --mode=compile g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I.
-I../../src -I.
-I/mnt/data3/general-apps-install//i686-pc-linux-gnu/avr/include
-I../../src -I ../src   -O2 -g -O2 -c ../../src/application.cpp
libtool: unrecognized option `--tag=CXX'
Try `libtool --help' for more information.
make[1]: *** [application.lo] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory
`/home/robin/tmp/simulavr-cvs/simulavrxx/build/src'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

It seems that the libtool version I am using does not support the
"--tag" switch!

I modified the generated makefile and removed the use of this switch.
With this change, the build of simulavrxx is bombing out at:

creating simulavr
swig -c++ -o simulavr_wrap.cpp ../../src/simulavr.i
../../src/pin.h:90: Warning(319): No access specifier given for base
class ExternalType (ignored).
../../src/pin.h:103: Warning(319): No access specifier given for base
class ExternalType (ignored).
../../src/avrdevice.h:48: Warning(401): Nothing known about class
'SimulationMember'. Ignored.
.
.
.
.
.
g++ -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -I. -I../../src -I.
-I/mnt/data3/general-apps-install//i686-pc-linux-gnu/avr/include
-I../../src -I ../src   -O2 -g -O2 -c simulavr_wrap.cpp
simulavr_wrap.cpp:358:17: tcl.h: No such file or directory
simulavr_wrap.cpp:393: error: `ClientData' was not declared in this
scope
simulavr_wrap.cpp:393: error: `Tcl_Interp' was not declared in this
scope
simulavr_wrap.cpp:393: error: parse error before `,' token
simulavr_wrap.cpp:393: error: `Tcl_Obj' was not declared in this scope
simulavr_wrap.cpp:393: error: `CONST' was not declared in this scope
simulavr_wrap.cpp:393: error: parse error before `]' token
.
.
.
.
.........and so on.

I seem to think that removing the "--tag" switch from libtool is causing
a problem. Should the build system check for a known version of libtool
at the configure stage ?
Also is the build system not taking into account the location of the tcl
headers ? (I do have them installed).

Bill, while it would be nice to have a rolled out snapshot (could you
put a pre-built one up somewhere, on savannah perhaps ?), I would
appreciate it if I could get simulavrxx to build on my system in the
interests of pointing out some issues that help make it better.

Let me know if you need some more info.

Thanks a tonne and cheers,
Robin