[Simulavr-devel] A serial console utility

From: Robin Randhawa
Subject: [Simulavr-devel] A serial console utility
Date: Sun, 07 Nov 2004 10:51:20 +0530

Greetings.

In the absence of any hardware (just my trusty debian box), I need to
create an execution environment for some lightweight threads on an Atmel
Atmega128 core.

I intend using avr-gdb with the remote gdb stub (gdbserver)
implementation in simulavr(xx).

As such I have the following questions:

1. Is the Atmega128 core supported by simulavr(xx) to the extent that
the instruction decoder is comfortable with all the documented
instructions ?

2. I need the ability to send diagnostic text messages over the serial
port. The need is only for a uni-directional text stream. Can
simulavr(xx) render the data being sent to the UART on a tty (for
example) ? It seems that Ken Restivo had come up with a framework for a
tty based solution earlier but I don't think his patch has been
incorporated, or has it ? Can someone suggest another solution ?

3. I will be using almost the entire 64K of external data memory. Does
the memory simulation recognise the external memory that the atmega128
is capable of using ?

Many thanks and cheers,
In anticipation,
Robin