Re: [savannah-help-public] Replicant source code hosting

From: Karl Berry
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Replicant source code hosting
Date: Mon, 15 Jun 2015 22:27:30 GMT

Hi Paul,

    be a problem for hosting the Replicant source
    code at Savannah?

Nacho and Jose are talking about chapters.gnu.org, which is not savannah.
It is a separate machine that they run (in Europe).

    I read somewhere that the license used must be GPL-compatible, but
    perhaps that's only for GNU projects.

As a point of information, on Savannah, everything is supposed to be
GPL-compatible, both gnu and nongnu. But that doesn't matter for
Replicant, because Savannah does not have anywhere near enough disk
space.  So it's not feasible for hosting as things stand.

I don't know if there are official rules for chapters, or how Nacho and
Jose feel about it.  What is not GPL-compatible in Replicant?

As for patents, it is a certainty that every nontrivial program
infringes patents.  As far as I know, the general policy is not to worry
about them, because doing so would halt all development forever.  If
there are special reasons why the FSF should worry about patents wrt
Replicant (wouldn't surprise me, but what do I know), I presume you've
already been in touch with johns/rms about it :).

best,
karl