Re: [savannah-help-public] Replicant source code hosting

From: Paul Kocialkowski
Subject: Re: [savannah-help-public] Replicant source code hosting
Date: Tue, 23 Jun 2015 15:05:59 +0200

> Savannah is meant for individual software packages.  It seems like
> a mistake to try to put a distro there.

I agree here, it might be just as simple to setup a gitweb web interface
for git and have all our repos hosted separately this way.

>   > If we take GPLv3 (and not the v2), it should be compatible with the
>   > Apache2 License.
>
> That is true, but still...
>
>   > Are any license in that list[1] used?
>   > Maybe some EPL? Probably OpenSSL?
>
>   > Paul, could you check? (You have the full source code).
>
> This would be an additional reason to do it outside Savannah.
> But there are enough other reasons.

Indeed. Checking each license in Replicant for GPL compatibility seems
too big a task to be worth it. It is also a moving target, since new
versions will likely introduce new software, with new licenses to
review. That seems unreasonable.

> Also, it seems like a mistake to add this to the responsibilities of
> the Savannah hackers.
>
> In addition, this isn't part of GNU.
>
> So let's make this a separate host, replicant.nongnu.org or
> replicant.fsf.org.

That could work. We could also just as well use the replicant.us
namespace, with git.replicant.us.

--
Paul Kocialkowski, Replicant developer

Replicant is a fully free Android distribution running on several
devices, a free software mobile operating system putting the emphasis on
freedom and privacy/security.

Website: http://www.replicant.us/
Blog: http://blog.replicant.us/
Wiki/tracker/forums: http://redmine.replicant.us/