Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2022 12:36:57 +0000

Steven wrote:

> >[David:]
> >I would look at output from mime_helper and see if it's UTF-8.
>
> Please forgive me for having to ask this, but how is mime_helper even
> involved?  Isn't that used only when I read the message?  It isn't in
> the procmail chain that saves the original copy, and it's the original
> copy that we've been looking at.

I don't know how mime_helper might fit in.  The lynx invocation is still
my pick for the root cause but you said you're not clear on how it is
involved.

I would do this if you haven't already:
1. download nmh HEAD, build, and install somewhere
2. move your $(mhpath +)/mhn.defaults
3. move your profile and create one with just a Path: entry
4. run the "mhfixmsg -file original_copy -out -" from 1. and see if the
   output looks good or bad

If it's good, then start adding things back in one at a time in reverse
order (starting with mhfixmsg switches) until it's bad.  If it's bad to
begin with, then I'm missing something (because I don't see the problem
here).