Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion

From: David Levine
Subject: Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion
Date: Tue, 8 Feb 2022 05:00:01 -0800

Steven Winikoff wrote:

> I owe you an apology about this, and I'm sincerely sorry for wasting your
> time on this question.

No apology is necessary.  This uncovered an issue with mhfixmsg that
we fixed.

> The key is the message about the line length being too long.  Seeing that
> reminded me that I'd modified the stock 1.7.1 mhfixmsg with this patch:

-decodetext binary instead of 8bit would be safer, I expect.  It
sounds like you might have tried that in the past without success.
It might help to dig in to that.

> There's still something going on that I don't understand, however.  The
> way I've evaluated the output from mhfixmsg was by viewing it in vim, and
> there's no question that the unpatched output looks fine while the patched
> output is as I've been describing since the beginning of this thread.
>
> ...but when I look at the files with command-line tools such as more or
> head, *both* versions look correct.

But are they correct?  It sounds like not, based on viewing in text
editors.

> In summary, I now know what's happening and (mostly) what to do about it,
> but I still don't know why.

I would look at output from mime_helper and see if it's UTF-8.