Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion

From: Steven Winikoff
Subject: Re: mhfixmsg character set conversion
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2022 00:48:59 -0500

>No apology is necessary.  This uncovered an issue with mhfixmsg that
>we fixed.

Thank you.

>> The key is the message about the line length being too long.  Seeing that
>> reminded me that I'd modified the stock 1.7.1 mhfixmsg with this patch:
>
>-decodetext binary instead of 8bit would be safer, I expect.  It
>sounds like you might have tried that in the past without success.
>It might help to dig in to that.

That's definitely my plan now that we've gotten this far.

>> ...but when I look at the files with command-line tools such as more or
>> head, *both* versions look correct.
>
>But are they correct?  It sounds like not, based on viewing in text
>editors.

I agree, but I'm running out of things to try to in order understand what's
happening (please see my reply to Ralph if you haven't already).

>> In summary, I now know what's happening and (mostly) what to do about it,
>> but I still don't know why.
>
>I would look at output from mime_helper and see if it's UTF-8.

Please forgive me for having to ask this, but how is mime_helper even
involved?  Isn't that used only when I read the message?  It isn't in
the procmail chain that saves the original copy, and it's the original
copy that we've been looking at.

     - Steven
Steven Winikoff      |
Montreal, QC, Canada | "The cure for boredom is curiousity.
smw@smwonline.ca     |  There is no cure for curiousity."
http://smwonline.ca  |