Re: Discourse

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 06:21:29 +0000 (UTC)

Andrew,

thanks for your long reponse.  I have to correct two of your
statements:

> But (contrary to a false statement I made about import into
> Discourse) you can't import mailbox format lists into Discourse
> simply, because, for example, the creation of users from 25 years
> ago who most probably no longer have the same email addresses is
> very problematic for various reasons.

It's really a pity that such a conversion is not supported, since it
would be extremely helpful in the long run.  However, e-mail addresses
shouldn't be exposed in the web interface (the already existing e-mail
list archive doesn't do that either).  The construction of threads
rather relies on the 'In-Reply-To:' and 'References:' fields, AFAIK.

> Maybe the history of bugs from ten versions ago is not that
> important to have instantly online.

It's not the 'history of bugs' that counts – we have a bug tracker for
that.  It's rather the collected wisdom of tips and tricks, mainly
related to Scheme wizardry, that is so important to look up for both
users and developers.

    Werner