Re: Discourse

From: Andrew Bernard
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 13:02:28 +1100

Some final thoughts, since we are not going to do this at this point. With all the pushback I am seeing, I have little further interest in giving my time and resources to implementing this. To a certain extent I regret even bringing up the topic.

People should go back and read my posts as this is in answer to today's posts, as I have discussed these points. The way I set up email in Discourse it works great, it's one click to subscribe, it has subject lines which give the topic and the category for easy filtering, and I can see no difference between the the email functionality it provides and the functionality that GNU Mailman 2 provides, none. You can initiate topics by email, you can reply, you can include images and file, it's normal email readable in anything from emacs to your personal mail client, all the headers are correct, and if you are careful on the admin side and which email SMTP provider you use you can avoid being classed as spam and also avoid backscatter (though this takes some work, but so it does with mailing lists).

Many of my users use the email interface exclusively and never touch the web interface. I have never had a complaint about the inadequacy of Discourse email. If people have some issues with other Discourse forum email functions, let me know, as it may help me with my forums.

So lilypond will be on GNU Mailman 2 always as far as I can see, which seems a pity as the software is advancing rapidly but not the community software. In the past, I was mostly successful in importing 25 years worth of posts from a LISTSERV mailing list into a GNU Mailman 2 list, the same as lilypond. But (contrary to a false statement I made about import into Discourse) you can't import mailbox format lists into Discourse simply, because, for example, the creation of users from 25 years ago who most probably no longer have the same email addresses is very problematic for various reasons. Therefore the current history could not be supported in Discourse, and would have to remain separate. I can see that this is a strong objection. But again, insisting on that means there is no possibility to ever change. Maybe that's a good thing. I don't know. Maybe the history of bugs from ten versions ago is not that important to have instantly online.

With regard to country based censorship, my unstated proposal would have been to run it on a linux server at Vultr or DigitalOcean and as far as I know there is no country filtering or censorship done by those services. But I may be wrong.

Interestingly Discourse (and yes people please do not confuse it with Discord, and entirely different service) supports polls builtin, so you can easily gauge opinion in a community with, but email lists do not have a convenient way to do this. :-)

I could go on but I have already asked to drop this topic as we are not going to do it, so people can relax. Perhaps the prevailing mood will change in the future.

Andrew