Re: Discourse

From: Michael Gerdau
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 17:49:46 +0100

Speaking up as one of the silent majority on this topic, now that it's mentioned, as I think I have two cents to add.

Silent majority?

I always thought and still think the Email prefering fraction to be the silent majority. But that's just my personal feeling and I do not have data to base this claim on.

I looked up the other list that moved to Discourse (I think they had the same Discourse/Discord confusion), but I remember that being sold strongly on the web interface. I was certainly left with the very strong impression email was a second class citizen.

If discourse works well with email, that would presumably allay Omid's fears?

I have yet to see a discourse setup that works well with email. Discourse seems to be better than phpBB or similar but that's not difficult and hardly something to be proud of.

All the claims I've seen w/r to usability of web based interfaces being better than email IMO basically show that mail clients are insufficiently or not properly setup respectively used.

FWIW I'm very happy that lilypond-users is email based. It is both my highest volume and at the same time most productive community.

I dearly hope that it stays that way.

My 0.02€

Michael
--