Re: Discourse

From: Jean Abou Samra
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Sat, 25 Feb 2023 14:34:38 +0100

Le samedi 25 février 2023 à 16:56 +0330, Omid Mo'menzadeh a écrit :

Hi all,
Speaking up as one of the silent majority on this topic, now that it's mentioned, as I think I have two cents to add.
I personally wouldn't be against Discourse, as I find its email interface good enough, however, there's something that does worry me about such a migration. As I have pointed out on the list before, lilypond.org is hosted on a platform that denies access from a few countries (including Iran, where I live), in addition to a lot of IP ranges we use to circumvent censorship (we get a 403 error.).
If the Discourse forum uses the same servers, that would be a huge problem for us. These days I build the LilyPond documentation myself, and download it from Gitlab, which at least doesn't block my server's IP, but being denied of this mailing list would prove to be hard to compensate.

Thank you for speaking up. This is indeed very important.

At this point, nobody is volunteering for setting up a Discourse server (Andrew turned back), so the discussion is entirely theoretical, but if someone ever does take the time to set that up and push for it, we will need to remember this constraint on the hosting used.