Re: Discourse

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Discourse
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2023 11:02:41 +0000 (UTC)

> I didn't go into detail, but I can assure you user emails are not
> exposed on the web in Discourse, [...]

I didn't say or imply that.

> but a post has to be associated with an account, and an account has
> to be verified by emailing the user, and the email is stored in
> their private profile so they can, well, receive email.

This is a non-trivial problem, I agree.  I won't make suggestions how
this could probably be solved – I'm sure the Discourse people know all
the details already.

> And as a last gasp, I recall when I was running the GNU Mailman
> lists that we had a web based interface to it which was half way
> decent. This may only be supported with GNU Mailman 3, I don't
> remember (we are on 2). I think it is called Kitty, and it's part of
> the official distribution, or very closely associated with it.

Interesting, thanks!

> Also, there's a very powerful search engine available for GNU
> Mailman which is much more capable than simple text search terms in
> the user archive.

I suggest that you look at

  https://lists.gnu.org/archive/cgi-bin/namazu.cgi?idxname=lilypond-user

AFAICS, this is much more than a 'simple text search'.

    Werner