Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Mon, 25 Oct 2004 13:50:32 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: address@hidden

    >   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/gnu-arch-users/2004-03/msg00740.html

    >   "Null quoting (like find's print0) is completely
    >   inappropriate for those purposes."

    >   "The -print0 hack is a broken idea."

    > By the sound of that, Tom is going to replace all of unix
    > from libc up.

Isn't it convenient that I live in a period of history when Unicode is
ascendent and many commercially-driven software architectures are about
to collapse (over the next 0..7 yrs)?   Don't you realize that libc is
a kind of accident: essentially an arbitrary "freeze" of an
experimental tree at Bell Labs plus accretions from the the rest of
the early unix community?

Fuck right I'm replacing libc-on-up.   Better to do it now, while it's
still vaguely human-scale, than to wait another 10 years.

Meanwhile, of course, there's the question of how to progress on that
goal while still producing pragmatically useful spin-offs, such as
arch.

    > I've given up complaining, because
    >   1. it does no good
    >   2. i've gotten used to the sharp corners mostly
    >   2. the fundamental design is so excellent it seems
    >       churlish to complain

There are some nasty sharp corners that are bad accidents, but far
fewer than most whiners think, I think.

Most of the nasty sharp corners --- I hate to say it but --- a lot of
them are pretty essential.   Emergent properties of the low-level
characteristics of the universe, so to speak.   Instead of giving up
on them, you might want to look into them a bit and see if you can't
gain some metaphysical insight from their seeming necessity.

    > Which would be ok because I could scratch my own itch.
    > However gnuarch seems to have eruptions every now and
    > then which make navigation difficult.

Popularity breeds opportunists.