Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: Thomas Lord
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:09:33 -0700 (PDT)

    > From: Miles Bader <address@hidden>

    > Thomas Lord <address@hidden> writes:
    > > Can't you use a filter program to generate the output format you want
    > > from the output format provided?

    > This is perhaps harder than it should be because tla's output escaping
    > format seems very complicated -- e.g., unicode encoding etc -- and it
    > seems annoying to have to duplicate any decoding smarts that already
    > have to be in tla.

Ok, well, that's something the tla project can help with without
modifying the tla program itself (except in the direction of making
output formats more regular).

The code I'm working on now will help to write such filters.... more
soon.

    > What I'd personally like (i.e., it would be convenient for me) is a
    > dumbed down "half-encoded" output format: use pika escaping for a small
    > fixed set of problematic characters (e.g. NUL, SPC, NL, CR, backslash
    > [to protect the pika escapes]), but for anything else, output decoded
    > "native" characters.

I think we'll go towards a rigorously structured by wiki-style output
format with a utility shell tool and C library for recovering and
translating based on the structure.

E.g., you could pipe tla through the shell tool which would emit an
S-exp form that you could read in emacs and tree-walk, inserting text
and properties in a buffer, thus generating a UI from tla command
output.   That kind of thing.

-t

p.s.: Emacs-21 is looking pretty nifty.