Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] Re: File naming conventions
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 18:26:33 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
% tla inventory -s | ctags -L -

Not as pretty as 'ctags -R *', but still pretty short, and much saner.
No pristines, no precious files, no backup files, no junk files.
Spaces in filenames work.  No \0's, no xargs limit issues.  You can
even slap a --nested in there if you like.

Except that does not work for even slightly "unusual" file names, like
the ones which make the -0 option to find and xargs useful, because of
pika escaping.

Which is therefore a bug in tla inventory: missing -0 option.

(I haven't filed a bug before, but I don't imagine it's
overly difficult.)

Actually, I think what ddaa is mentioning is even more serious. For filenames with "bad" characters in them, tla inventory outputs the pika escaped version, not the real version. As an example:

$ cd project-tree
$ echo "# arch-tag: `uuidgen`" > "test file.txt"
$ tla inventory --source
test\(sp)file.txt

That doesn't work for *anyone* whether we had a -0 flag or not.

Maybe we could have '-0' mean, use null termination, and don't pika escape.

I'm not very happy that tla inventory, or tla changes, etc all show the pika escaped version of the files, it really messes with toolchains. So far, though, that is the decision from on high. (It probably makes things work better internal to tla, but that doesn't help external things)

There is the command tla escape (and tla escape --unescaped). But they only read a single command line argument. So you can't do:

tla inventory --source | tla escape --unescaped | xargs chmod 644
and you can't do
tla inventory --source | xargs tla escape --unescaped | xargs chmod 644

And you can't even do:
tla inventory --source | xargs -n1 tla escape --unescaped \
        | xargs chmod 644

Because xargs strips off the whitespace. I haven't found anything that works outside of building a complete bash script.

John
=:->