Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment

From: John Meinel
Subject: Re: [Gnu-arch-users] GNU copyright assignment
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 17:39:35 -0500

Zenaan Harkness wrote:
More important than the fact that the forms are hidden---you don't
have to sign them if you don't like them, and they are negotiable if
the FSF wants your code bad enough, after all---is the fact that
authors' names are may be hidden.

This is confusing, due to lack of grammar, and infuriatingly so, since
it sounds important and I want to understand it. Please rewrite it when
you get time so that I may understand what you're saying here.

In the case of the FSF, as far as I
know anything like that is inadvertant---they keep and publish good
changelogs---but it's theoretically possible.  This means that if you
want access to some code under some terms and the FSF won't give it to
you, you are unable to ask the authors to give it to you under the
"grant-back" clause.

This sounds like you're saying "sometimes the FSF FiretrUCKs up, and
loses correct attribution of code.

That probably doesn't bother anybody else here, but with respect to my
own contributions I dislike it.

In which case, use tla and make sure you have a good clean record of
your contributions in such case...

like, isn't that obvious ???

Please clarify
Zen

What I understand is that the FSF will allow you to contribute code, and then hide your name from the list of authors. (I'm not sure if that is by your request or not.) As the original author, you still have more rights than a regular user. But if a third party comes along and wants a different license for the work that the FSF won't give them, because your name is not on the list of authors the third party cannot contact you to get a different license.

Again, that was my understanding, and I could be (very) wrong.

John
=:->